What to Look for When Buying a Used Car
Buying a used car can be a fantastic way to get a steal of a deal, but many Southgate drivers worry about choosing the right one. If you’re not sure what questions to ask when buying a used car or what to look for when buying a used car, you’re not alone! But, the team at Moran Buick GMC is here to help. Find out how to sort the bargains from the lemons, and find your dream car today!
How to Buy a Used Car From a Dealer
While you can always try your luck on the private market, buying a used car from a dealership is much more convenient for many Dearborn drivers. You can take your pick of anything from cars priced under $20k to Certified Pre-Owned models — not to mention, plenty of used car specials! Once you’re ready to start shopping, here is a checklist to help you buy with confidence:
- Set a Budget: Your budget is key to a successful shopping experience. Most experts recommend spending no more than 10% of your monthly income on your used car. And remember, you’ll need to factor in ownership costs in addition to the sticker price of your vehicle. This means maintenance costs, repair costs, fueling costs, etc.
- Find the Right Used Car: After your budget is set, start thinking about what other factors matter for your driving experience. What are your mileage expectations? What types of features are you interested in? Make a list of your wants and needs. Start assembling a list of cars that meet your criteria.
- Read Expert Reviews: Once you have a list of candidates, start researching. Look for industry reviews from leading names like Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book, and check out NHTSA and IIHS safety scores. This is also a good time to investigate pricing in the Brownstown area. Now that a few candidates have risen to the top, take your short list and head to the dealership.
- Test Drive and Inspect the Models: A test drive will tell you a lot about the car, so take your time. Think about your everyday commute and try to simulate an average drive. Check out the cargo space and test out all the features. If possible, you could even get a professional inspection for added peace of mind.
- Used Car Financing and Other Fees: Once you’ve found a used car that suits your criteria, take your time to explore your loan options. If you have a car to trade, be sure to do your research and negotiate. Then discuss warranties and car insurance to make sure your new investment is covered.
What to Ask When Buying a Used Car
Now you know what to look for when buying a used car, but knowing what to ask when buying a used car is equally important. Asking the right questions will help you sort through your options and avoid potential problems down the road, so you can enjoy your upcoming travels without stress. To get you started, here’s a sampling of what questions to ask when buying a used car:
- Is there a history of maintenance?
- Is the vehicle history report available?
- Do the amenities and features work like they’re supposed to?
- What is the ownership history?
- What is the vehicle’s mileage?
- Are there any current recalls on the vehicle?
- How was the vehicle priced?
- Can I take the car to a mechanic for an inspection?
- Do you have the title in hand?
- Is the car as is, or is it under warranty?
- Does this vehicle affect your insurance premiums?
Start Shopping Today at Moran Buick GMC
Want to start your car shopping journey today? Visit us at Moran Buick GMC to see our pre-owned vehicles up close or start browsing our used inventory online. You can also contact us with any questions in the meantime, and we’ll help you find just the right car for your wants and needs!